Does Your Restaurant need Rescuing?

Send an email to mindanaobiz@gmail.com should you be needing assistance in restaurant operations and marketing services.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Waiter of my Dreams

I was lucky to have my practicum in college in one of the best hotels in Metro Manila, EDSA Shangri-la Hotel, more than a decade ago. I am thankful I got accepted in their program. It was then that I knew why so many students want to get in their trainee program.

We were given the choice to train in ten departments. I chose two restaurant waiter assignments out of the ten. Now I am glad I did because the men and women I worked with were a great inspiration to my work now.

These waiters were great. They were well-groomed, professional and polite. They know the service standards. Most of all, they were the kinds of waiters who knew how to converse with their guests.

I am often frustrated when visiting restaurants where the waiters barely open their mouth at all or who look like they have been hauling tables just before service time.

When restaurants hire waiters, they think of waiters as people who will carry plates and trays from window to the guest's table. That is just not enough. For me, waiters should above all know the SOPs of serving food and should know their menu well. They should be goodlooking and neat. They should be able to engage in a respectful yet friendly conversation with guests. They should put the guests' comfort and satisfaction above all else.

If you own a restaurant, hire someone that can do more than carry trays. Waiters are your representatives. They should be employees you can be proud of.